Saturday, January 10, 2009

Welcome to IECW

Hello everyone! Let me first take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in IECW.

Pro Tip: Electronic communication can often seem more impersonal than traditional communication. This makes being polite, and being sure to put your gratitude into words, extra important on the internet.

Before we dive into the serbonian bog of issues that surround electronic communication, we'd like to introduce the people behind this (serbonian?) blog:

First of all, let me express my profound excitement over the potential of this publication. In a world where much communication takes place through less intuitive channels than the classic “face to face”, IECW promises to provide some much-needed guidance.


Over the many years during which I have communicated electronically, I have developed some areas of expertise that I hope to shed some light on through my contributions here. First, I’ve become a frequent and adept sender of “mass” messages. Although there are no clear rules delineating “mass” messages from other messages with multiple recipients, it’s safe to say that such communication is ordinarily directed at more than “a few” recipients. Additionally, a variety of work experiences (including some mishaps!) have given me the opportunity to learn a few things about professional communication; I hope that sharing some “Don’ts” from my own background will help you to avoid the kind of embarrassment I’ve suffered!


Although electronic communication is my main area of interest, I also breed and train showcats for competition. I am currently raising litters of Turkish Angoras and Norwegian Forest Cats; however, I have previously won CFA blue ribbons for Colorpoint Shorthairs, Japanese Bobtails, and catwalking.


My colleague, Maggie Paino, is an apathetic law student who loathes classroom discussion. She is an interpersonal electronic communication guru specializing in the subject of emotional relationships. In particular, Paino has mastered areas concerning pre-emptive break-ups, guilt-ridden "biggest mistake" post-break up communication, and dismissals that eject former partners in a sarcastic and jabbing yet light-hearted manner. Paino's hobbies include French-braiding and turning down the thermostat solely for the purpose of utilizing her sage green snuggie. She is most well-known for endeavors to acquire carpal tunnel syndrome in hopes of getting disability payments. Paino is also the writer of the blog "She Can't See Without Her Glasses," and is currently working on her screenplay, "Goulash Grapple" (title pending).



I'm sure I speak for both of us when I say that I am sincerely excited to get this blog rolling! You'll hear from me the next time I communicate... electronically.

4 comments:

  1. The selling point is the snuggie! I'm hoping that most entries will contain tidbits about Maggie's informercial-based purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MASTADON PUNANY OWNS YOU ALL!!!1111

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to ask the first interpersonal electronic communication question, please.
    So, I am a member of the social network facebook.com. It was recently my birthday and 26 people wrote on my internet wall with some form of the phrase "Happy Birthday". This was very nice of them and I appreciate the kind words, but what do I do now? If these people had wished me a happy birthday while running into them at the grocery store I would have promptly said, "Why, thank you!"
    But, in this case, I log into a computer and get all of these messages at once and I don't really want to write back "Why, thank you!" 26 times for the reasons of just not wanting to do it and the fact that it seems kind of trite and mundanely obligatory. Know what I mean? But, on the other hand, I could have written the words "Why, thank you!" way more than 26 times in the amount of time that it took me to write this question to you guys. SO....what should I have done, Interpersonal Electronic Communications Weekly??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pete, are photo's of you only done at soma?

    ReplyDelete